I don't really spend too much time proofing what I write here, I enjoy just getting it all out in one sitting, letting the words flow, and seeing what I end up with. It feels good not worrying about expectations or rules. If you don't like what I write, then you've only wasted a few minutes. But if I can put a smile on your face or an interesting thought in your mind, then I've done something worthwhile.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Where have all the Gentlemen Gone?

As I walked home from campus one soggy, frigid morning last week, my trip was suddenly interrupted by a group of gossiping fraternity boys coming towards me. Normally, this situation wouldn't phase me in the least, however this particular morning my good graces were pushed over the edge.

When a girl is walking and a boy, or especially a group of boys, is approaching in the opposite direction, the appropriate action for the male to take is this: let the girl continue walking straight, as you temporarily alter your route to let her pass. DO NOT MAKE HER STEP INTO THE STREET OR MUD. 

I don't feel that this idea is trite or old-fashioned, or would even be offensive to those hard-core women's libbers out there. I think it stands to reason that there is a certain amount of respect due to everyone in this world, and I can't help but feel that women deserve a certain level of graciousness in everyday situations. First and foremost, it is a sign of respect to a girl (not to mention her shoes, which undoubtedly cost more than the boy's on most occasions). And secondly, this is one of many situations where a man can show his respect for a woman, thereby exhibiting his gentlemanly appeal to her.

I've noticed this lack of propriety in several sitations lately. For example, do men realize that it is appropriate for the girl to offer her hand when being introduced and not vice versa? Though I do realize this is a particularly old-fashioned idea, I feel that it should be reinstated into today's interactions. The reason behind this is that if a woman doesn't wish to shake a particular man's hand, she isn't forced to. However, if she does wish to make contact with him, she willingly offers her hand to him as a sign of interest and respect. I won't lie, there are certain situations in which I do not offer my hand to a particular man whom I do not wish to meet (aka guys who have been enjoying a night of drinking and debauchery, and who probably haven't washed their hands since before their last beer pong game).

I could go on and on about opening doors, introducing oneself, offering a seat, and paying compliments, but I think I've expressed my opinion clearly enough. So in the end, the only question I am left with is this:

Where have all the gentlemen gone?

1 comment: