I don't really spend too much time proofing what I write here, I enjoy just getting it all out in one sitting, letting the words flow, and seeing what I end up with. It feels good not worrying about expectations or rules. If you don't like what I write, then you've only wasted a few minutes. But if I can put a smile on your face or an interesting thought in your mind, then I've done something worthwhile.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Love an animal, they'll love you back

So I just read an update from the KC Humane Society's Facebook page, and am amazed once again at the inhumanity that exists in the world. Tomorrow at 5 PM, a dog named Gilmore will be going home with his new family, after spending the first 7 years of his life on a 6-foot long chain. How do you describe crying out of anger and happiness at the same time? It's the most frustrating feeling.

How is it possible that there are still people in the world who could exhibit horrific cruelty to an animal, and feel no remorse? I understand that to many people a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and that animals are just there as pets, not as family members. I understand that they may not let their pets sleep on the bed. They may not give them toys and treats. They may not even play with them. I don't agree with these people, but I can't fault them for cruelty. If giving the bare minimum to an animal still means that they are fed, medicated, and able to live an adequate life, I can't make enough of an argument to say that their owner doesn't deserve them.

However-

It absolutely blows my mind to see, hear about, or read about the blatant neglect and cruelty suffered by pets in the United States. I have one thing to say about that: IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT AN ANIMAL, GIVE THEM TO SOMEONE WHO WILL. And it's not only the fault of the bastards who are being cruel, it's the fault of the neighbors/friends/strangers walking by who fail to take action against it. If you see a dog constantly chained in a back-yard with no water in July, if you see a skinny dog who is itchy and has matted fur, if you hear kittens under your neighbors porch, CALL THE HUMANE SOCIETY. Just because someone isn't taking responsibility for their own pets, doesn't mean you can't act like a human being and pick up the phone. It doesn't mean their pets will be taken away, it just means that a professional will inform them of how to provide adequate care.

The only explanation I can come up with for people that chain their animals, or don't feed them, or flat out beat them, is that they get some sort of sick pleasure from it. If you can look at an animal who is obviously suffering and feel no sympathy, then you must be feeling some kind of twisted satisfaction. I don't think anyone could be apathetic towards that. And based on the thousands of incidents of animal cruelty in the US each year, I don't even want to think about how many sick people there are out there.

If you can't adopt more pets, or can't afford to have one, at least do something to help. Go walk a dog at the Humane Society. Donate old sheets, blankets, even office supplies to your local shelter. If anything, just be aware of what's going on with the animals in your neighborhood. We can help ourselves, those animals can't.

2 comments:

  1. the above picture is my dog, Miley, and my family's dogs, Mona and Pete. Miley and Mona are both shelter dogs, and they are the best pets you could ask for. Definitely members of the family! Notice how they get the couch? Yes, I believe I was sitting on the floor that evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me so sick to think of how cruel people can be to a sweet and loving creature. If I had millions I would adopt millions of puppies and kitties, which won't happen, but my first doggie will be from a shelter-that's a fact. I am so glad you saved Miley and Mona from a shelter, they are now living the life I am sure.

    ReplyDelete