I don't really spend too much time proofing what I write here, I enjoy just getting it all out in one sitting, letting the words flow, and seeing what I end up with. It feels good not worrying about expectations or rules. If you don't like what I write, then you've only wasted a few minutes. But if I can put a smile on your face or an interesting thought in your mind, then I've done something worthwhile.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

22 and Clueless

I had an interesting conversation last week at (where else?) a bar, with a 30 year old man who was not afraid to share with me his thoughts on women in their early twenties. Apparently, we just don't know what we want. And much to his surprise, I was in total agreement.

I think he expected a firm rebuttal in defense of myself and my clueless compatriots, but instead received a smile and an enthusiastic nod. Considering it took me several minutes to decide which micro-brewed beer to order on $1.50 beer night at the Blue Moose, I was in no position to assert myself as a confident and decisive woman. Hell, I change hair color every other month, I could practically be the poster girl for his campaign.

Now, this isn't to say that I'm apathetic. No, there is a fine distinction between being clueless about what you want, and not caring about what you get. When else in your life do you face an infinite number of open doors and possibilities, and still maintain a level of comfort knowing that there is always time to try something else? In accordance with the "Live every day like it's your last" philosophy, I say go with your gut and enjoy every second of it. Even if you make the "wrong" choice, whether it be a job, a relationship, or something trivial like what to put on your Chipotle burrito, at least you chose.

I am 22 and clueless as to what I want in life. One day I might want a career, to be halfway across the country, to be single and unrestrained, and to live for myself. Other days I'm content in my parents' house, and I crave the companionship of Mr. Right, sometimes spending hours daydreaming about that week's flavor. The ping pong game inside my head can be maddening, but it's okay. I don't need to know right now. As long as I go for what makes me happy, (and do my best to avoid choices with potentially devastating consequences), I'll get where I need to be, one day.



A sequel to this post will be added at a later date, concerning the outrageous trend of 22 year old women committing themselves to engagements, marriages, and even children- and my philosophy that the current economy is to blame.

2 comments:

  1. i love what you had to say here and agree completely. my mom always tells me the twenties can be the best time of your life but also the most "tumultuous" (great word choice B. Roe ha!) The other night I called my parents and told them I wanted to go back and get a teaching degree so I could teach journalism....that was my mood of the week. we'll see what I'm in the mood for next week! I'm ready for the sequel!

    ReplyDelete